The Test

A couple of months ago, as I was going to cheer for my husband at his softball game, we had an interesting event take place. I had just locked our van and walked to the baseball diamond when a man came running over asking if anyone drove a green mini van. Immediately I thought, “Oh no, why?” And so I asked him. He said that it had been broken into.

My husband and I, along with the children, my 4 yr old nephew and half the team, came running to the scene. The passenger window had been shattered. He said that he saw a woman go through the window and reach under my driver’s seat and take a purse. My first thoughts were, “Well, crud! That’s my favorite purse and there’s nothing in it anyway.” It did have about $50 in makeup and most of that were my BeautiControl lipsticks. (Yes, I actually carried 6 different colors, so now you know; I’m a lip color addict)

This event concerned my children as they asked a bazillion questions! (Well, it was actually 5 or so, but their wide eyes and frantic cries seemed like a bazillion) My oldest daughter took the children aside to a small play area while we waited for the police to arrive. I was just shocked that this could happen to us. I asked the Lord what He was trying to tell me. I thought for sure this was a message from Him. Was I being punished? Was I being tested? What could it be?
That night we were able to testify of God’s faithfulness and mercy and the officer just didn’t understand. He was angry with the thief. My husband and I weren’t angry at all, just more stunned than anything, and thankful that I didn’t have any money in it.

My daughter walked back over and told me that she had the children sit down with her and prayed that my purse would be returned and that all the important stuff would still be in it. The important stuff was my driver’s license and our insurance cards. Although they could be replaced, it would be an inconvenience. About 30 minutes later, my father-in-law called us. He said that someone had called 411 and asked for my last name. They got my father-in-law’s number. He told me that someone had found my purse! We got the man’s number and my husband called him. He was just 5 minutes from where we were.

The man came to the park with my purse! The officer was astonished! The witnesses were AMAZED! God is faithful all right! My daughter saw this and came running over! She wanted to know what was still in it. “All the important stuff,” I said. She cried!

Well, the lip sticks were missing, and my date book, which looked like a checkbook; but my license and all the insurance cards were all still there. My children experienced a growth in their faith that night! My 4 yr old nephew was convinced there is a God!

That night I sought the Lord in prayer about this. What was He trying to tell me? I could sense that there was something. The next morning as I woke up, I asked Him yet again. Then I began to pray and the Spirit of the Lord impressed upon my heart to pray for this woman. I shed tears for her and asked the Lord, “How can a woman go from being what you desire, the Proverbs 31 woman, to a thief?” I prayed for her salvation and for her to get the help she needs.

As I finished praying, the Lord whispered in my ear, “This is the right ministry for you.” He was referring to the Sarah Home for Women, a 12 month discipleship recovery program. It’s a ministry for women just like my thief. He encouraged me from

Matthew 25: 35-45, “For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungered, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

As I shared this testimony with a friend she confirmed to me that she thought it was the right ministry for me too and that it most certainly wouldn’t be for her. She said, “I’m angry at the woman just hearing this. I’d like to see her go to jail!” Again I knew this is the right ministry for me. This week I send in my application for the jail and begin our jail ministry very soon!

5 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Sallie } at: October 29, 2007 at 10:27 AM said...

Isn't it amazing how God uses events, and even the not so good ones, to speak to us?! I just love it!

God bless,
Sallie

{ Sisterlisa } at: October 29, 2007 at 9:45 PM said...

Thank you Sallie! Our women's home has an official opening date of Nov. 8th!

{ Angie } at: October 30, 2007 at 9:04 AM said...

Thank You God for your faithfulness! Awesome story!

{ Elisa @ Extravagant Grace } at: October 31, 2007 at 4:08 AM said...

Lisa, this is an amazing testimony to your faithfulness to the Lord. May you see great fruit as He works in your life and you witness other lives redeemed!

{ Julie Fink } at: November 3, 2007 at 7:17 PM said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story of God's goodness!

Share SLF