Washing Feet with Jesus

Many of us know that women tend to be known for how many shoes she owns. She wears a different type of shoe depending on what job she is doing.

As a mom, she may wear a pair of tennis, so that she can keep up with her daily routine of being the taxi driver, a housekeeper, and delivery person.

As a wife, she may wear a pair of stylish stilettos as she dresses up for a night on the town with her husband.

As a church member, she may slip on some nice professional black pumps. Nothing to fancy, as she wants to look nice and still be comfortable as she serves in the ministry on her feet on Sunday mornings.

In her leisure time, she may throw on a simple pair of flip flops; well that’s what I’d choose anyway. They don’t need to be too flashy; all I want is to be comfy.

We wear many shoes and walk down many paths, but when the day has ended and we put our feet up, they’re just as bare as can be. We can take off the duties that accompany those shoes and just be ourselves. The best part of being barefoot is that it’s exactly the way God created us.

At the beginning and end of each day, I am reminded by my bare feet, that I belong to Him, He created me, and He loves me just as I am. Oh, don’t get me wrong. I want to dress up my feet and walk down the paths He has ordered for me, but in the silence of the morning and the stillness of the night, it’s just Jesus and me.

I may have calluses caused by excessive walking in low quality tennis, blisters from high heels that are just too high for me, or ingrown toenails from wearing tight shoes for far too long. While I think about how I want to spend my time with the Lord each morning and each night, I want to be as bare as I can with Him. It won’t matter to Him that my feet are dirty, blistered, or have calluses, he just wants me.

I can pull out that luxurious footbath and wash my feet first, scuffing off the calluses, and applying ointment to those blisters, but then what is there for Jesus to do for me? We don’t get our lives all cleaned up, AND THEN go to Him; we come to Him as we are and HE cleanses and heals us. Maybe you have walked a life that has left calluses on your toes, or been hurt by climbing the rough terrain without proper protection, but Jesus has the healing balm you need to nurse your feet back to prime condition for serving Him.



We can prevent our feet from becoming sore and injured by taking good care of them and wearing proper shoes that fit. When we can walk down the right paths that he chooses for us, we can still break the heel or develop a blister, but He is still there for us.

The most important thing He wants from us is our love. He desires for us to Praise Him and adore Him. We have the example of how one woman loved Jesus by caring for His feet.

Luke 7:44, “And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.”

When we make time to worship, love, and adore Him, He fills us with his love and presence; then asks us to go and care for His children. He showed us His example of this when He made himself lowly and washed the feet of the disciples.

John 13:5, “After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.”

As you enter your room tonight, and slip off your shoes, remember that your bare feet are created by the one who loves you most. Tell Him that you love Him and when you wake up, spend your time worshipping Him before you go out and wash the feet of other’s. Take Him with you and allow Him to lead you to the soul that needs their feet cared for.

He wants to use you to be a blessing to others.

Matthew 28:19, “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:”

Ephesians 6:15, “And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;”

There are hurting, callused, blistered feet, in need of washing. Be sure to be prepared with the necessary products to give them for healing. The water is the Word, (The Bible) the soap is the blood of Jesus, (His death on the cross) the basin is His church, (The gathering place for believers) you are the hand with the cloth, (Serving others) and their feet are their souls. (Callused by the world) He wants to use you to help others be cleansed and healed. Bring them to Jesus, and allow Him to use you to be a blessing to someone today.









2 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Wendy } at: October 3, 2007 at 11:47 AM said...

Brilliant Devotion Sis!!

{ Sisterlisa } at: October 6, 2007 at 7:38 AM said...

Thank you Wendy.

Share SLF