Nothing To Be Thankful For

As I prepare my Thanksgiving feast for all our guests I am thinking about thankfulness and those who may not feel they have anything to really be thankful for. We have some men from our ministry who have NO family to be with today and we are having them over today. A dear elderly friend of mine, whom I interpret; for as she is deaf, lost her husband two years ago. I invited her as well.

Now I am thinking of those who may be in a dark place today. A woman whose husband beats her when he's drunk. A homeless family staying in a shelter. A lost lonely man living under the freeway bridge and sleeping with newspaper rolled up around him for warmth. A child whose parents are incarcerated and she/he is in foster care with people they don't know. These people tend to wonder what there is to be thankful for. I know because I've been there done that.

There was a time when my two daughters and I were alone. We had no family with us and my husband wasn't living with us or walking with the Lord. A dear sweet lady who was new in our church, invited us to her home for Thanksgiving. Her name was Jean Hosse.

Jean was an incredible woman and taught me that I should not give up on my marriage. She created a VAST feast for us in her tiny kitchen no bigger than most bathrooms. Her dining room table was a tiny round circle and not even large enough to hold the turkey plate. Jean Hosse had cancer and not many months left to live, yet she opened her home to us. I certainly missed my family and my husband, but God gave me a friendship in Jean Hosse.

Jean is in heaven today and our desire is to do what she taught us that Thanksgiving day so many years ago. We pray for the Lord to lead us to people who need a family to call their own. We become their family. Today we have a man with us who has no family. He has never known his mother, as he was adopted. Two brothers are with us today and they also have no family to be with. My sweet friend Alice, whose husband went to heaven two years ago, is deaf and her only family lives far from her.

We began this tradition a few years ago. We had a man named Cleo Pitham over to our home. Later the next year, just a few months in fact, he passed away. He was dear to our family and my oldest daughter, Jessi who was just 12 years old at the time, said to us, "Mom and Dad, we never know how long we have someone for, we should have people over every year!"

Is there someone, a neighbor, a family from church, a widow/widower that you can have over for the holidays? No need to give any notice, just give them a call and let them know you're on your way over. You will be blessed beyond measure and your hearts will be more full than you can ever imagine.

Wishing you a thankful and giving, Thanksgiving Holiday.

4 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Angie } at: November 23, 2007 at 4:08 AM said...

I know you are such a blessing to others as you have been to me. I hope you and your friends had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

{ Homemaker05 } at: November 23, 2007 at 6:53 AM said...

What a great post!! In past years my husband and I have saught to have people with no where to go in our home. This year we were the family "with no where to go" blessed to be welcomed in someone else's home! It is such a blessing regardless which side you are on!

I praise the Lord also for a sister who works with the deaf. Before moving here (where I have yet to meet any deaf) I was apart of our churches interpreting ministry for the deaf and had the opportunity to work with deaf school children. It is something I enjoyed very much and miss, but know the Lord leads as He will... perhaps it will come to me again one day! :)

Ginger at: November 23, 2007 at 12:16 PM said...

you are a great example of what a Christian family should be. I have been thinking of various traditions my family could start to show people Christ's love, and you've given me another loving example. Thank you.

{ Kim S in SC } at: November 23, 2007 at 1:39 PM said...

What beautiful memories you are making! "Crowning" memories with your children and those you are serving! Thank you for sharing! Thank you for inspiring!
Praise Him,
kim

Share SLF