Opportunities or Stumbling Blocks?

This last week seemed like a whirlwind of busyness that seems to have come to a halt. We opened the Sarah Home for Women and had several interviews and visits to make. Yesterday we were able to support a young woman in court and the judge miraculously allowed her to be released into our custody.

Now I am at home and have some catching up to do with our housework and education, but the primary focus of catching up will be in my relationship with my family. I believe a woman should be involved in ministry, but not at the sake of missing out on her first and most precious ministry with her family. I feel that the busy week I've had was needed as the Sarah Home just opened, but now I can focus on what's most important in my life.

A friend of ours called and informed us that he was closing his business(a jewelry store) and asked for ME to come on and work for the first two days of his 70% off closeout sale. Two things come to my mind. One being that Christmas is coming up and two being that I need to be at home. So although this 'could' be an 'opportunity' it could also be a stumbling block to distract me from what is most vital in my life and in the lives of my family.

I have many things the Lord has been showing me and leading me to pray about and so I have made notes about what I'd like to share with you. I will be working on writing about them over the next few days when the children have their reading times.

I took Moni with me to court yesterday to support a young woman and she took four pages of notes and questions to ask me. After the day was over I asked her what she learned. She replied, "I learned not to ever do drugs and that I don't want to be a lawyer." Which of course is just as well, since God already spoke to her heart about being a missionary. :O)

I think that our 'social studies' lesson was well served as she also learned to have respect for the judge and his courtroom in addition to that her heart was full of compassion for each life that was obviously facing such awful consequences. It was evident to us both that the judge was a 'just' judge in sentencing those who committed crimes.When our young woman came before the judge we saw that God certainly CAN move the hearts of leaders to make the decision GOD would have them to make.

Proverbs 21:1, “The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.”

When the judge allowed her to come to The Sarah Home, Moni expressed her thankfulness to God in that He heard her prayers. She told me that she had been praying the whole time he was talking to her.

Later that night when she was released I told her how we had been praying for her all week to be able to 'come home', she was surprised. She said that she had never before experienced people (especially people she didn't know) pray so seriously for her.

Now I know that God worked in our lives in that courtroom all day and that God got the glory, but what glory will God get if I take the job with the jewelry store? I know He can use it as an opportunity to do whatever He wants. I might see someone who needs the Sarah Home, I might get to lead a customer to the Lord (and yes this owner would allow me to do that), and I could be a blessing to his closing business, BUT I can do so much more for my family if I am home. So is it an opportunity or a stumbling block? Dear Sisters in Christ, pray for me will you? I would love to know what the Lord impresses upon your heart to share with me.

Do you ever face the same decisions? Is there something wonderful, an 'opportunity', in your life that 'could' be a stumbling block to what God has already asked you to do? Is there a stone from the enemy being tossed your way that will distract you from doing what you know God has already called on you to do? The enemy doesn't always try to 'stop' us from loving the Lord, he just seeks to 'distract' us with something else that is also good. It's our own temptations and agenda for what 'we' want that can get in the way.

I guess I just got my answer eh?

3 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Homemaker05 } at: November 15, 2007 at 12:32 PM said...

That's a tough call! Personally, if a friend called and asked for help at the store for a couple days, I would accept the opportunity to make the extra money (unless something else was already planned). However, I'm not coming off a busy week as you are. I could see justifying a couple days in light of the fact that I have been home every day these last few weeks (or maybe months?) I think that if your heart is struggling with saying yes to this friend, perhaps a no is in order... especially if your heart can rest in that decision!

Blessings!

{ A Place For Ministry Wives } at: November 15, 2007 at 3:59 PM said...

I have to be careful with the time and attention I give to my blog and other computer endeavors (online time, etc.). The Lord called me to start the online discussion and has used it tremendously in my life and in the lives of others - but I have to be careful that I give it the "time" I am able to give it - and not the time others expect it to be given. I am "with you" on this post and am so glad you wrote it. The same words you typed have been echoing in my heart, mind and conscience the last several weeks.

{ Stacey Tate } at: November 15, 2007 at 5:45 PM said...

I am the owner of Luscious Chaos. I wanted to subscribe to your personal blog but got Apple of Gold when I try to add. Will you send me the correct URL.
staceymarietate@verizon.net

Share SLF