Words of Warmth and Nourishment

A couple of years ago, a dear friend of mine lost her nine year old daughter in a tragic car accident; another friend of mine lost her husband recently. This last week I suffered a loss in miscarriage. Many women have experienced a loss of some kind or another in their lives. What do you say to people when they have suffered a loss? As kind as people try to be, comments such as these are actually quite painful;

They’re in a better place.
God needed them more than you did.
It must not have been God’s will for them to live longer.

Sometimes it is better to just offer a hug and let them know you’re praying for them. It’s okay if you don’t know what to say, just be careful not to say something that could cause them to be further wounded during their time of grieving.

I had a friend come to me, with sincerity, about something they’re struggling with, yet I proceeded with wisdom. I did not approach her to ‘tell her’ what *I* thought, I waited for her to come to me.

Proverbs 20:5 says, “Counsel in the heart of man is like deep water; but a man of understanding will draw it out.”

If you’ve ever been able to draw water from a well, you’ll know that the water deep within the well is very cold. Imagine what your friend would do if you splashed them with it. They might scream, be angry, and back away from you. They may lose trust in you and not come near you for a while.

Many times it’s best to wait for better timing to talk to them. Always pray before speaking to someone when you know it’s a sensitive subject.

Proverbs 25:11, “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.”

The virtuous woman used wisdom when she spoke, using caution as she spoke words of kindness to others.

Proverbs 31:36, “She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.”

When the time comes for you to speak to a friend, no matter what the conversation is about, keep in mind that God knows what you’re saying.

Psalm 19:3, “There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.”

I recently had someone dear to me make a comment about our loss that hurt me. I don’t think at all that she meant any harm at all, yet I was in a vulnerable position and my emotions were in a whirlwind. I sat and thought about what she had said and I knew I did not feel the same way she did about our loss. Yet, I had grown in an area of faith in this matter that she may not have come to in her own life yet. I chose to forgive her within a few seconds of the comment. I may not ever tell her that her words were hurtful, and then again there might be a time in the future where it comes up again and I can be in a better place emotionally to be able to use wisdom in sharing my feelings.

I have come to a place in my faith and my walk with the Lord where I am seeing His Word in a different light. Some things seem to be clearer to me now and I am able to see His messages to my heart with a gentle glow. This kind of glow is like seeing a warm flame of the fireplace through the snow covered window pane. You are stepping through the storm, towards that flame, desiring to draw nigh to the warmth that it offers. As you approach the door He is waiting for you. Just as you knock, He opens the door and invites you in. A soft sofa with a warm blanket is waiting for you in front of the beautiful flickering flames. Your hands are warmed by the hot, nourishing mug of chicken soup that He offers.

As you make yourself comfortable in the safety of His home, you ask for wisdom and He freely gives it.

James 1:5, “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.”

Although I have decided to come into this warm loving home, others may not have come yet. Others may not have knocked. Others may not have asked. Yet the warmth and light of His flame draws us to His side. I pray that others will come to His home and ask Him what He desires to give them. He’ll freely give wisdom to those who ask, but we must ask. We must choose to come to Him and sincerely ask.

Have you come to that place? It’s cold and stormy in this world and yet He offers us His warmth and His wisdom. His home is always open to those who ask. Will you come and ask Him what He has to offer? Will you enter His presence and freely receive as He freely gives? Will you listen and obey?

What area has He spoken to you about, that you struggle with accepting? Will you refuse his nourishment and go back to the cold storm? Or will you trust His Word and partake of His supper? Sometimes the soup isn’t to our liking, yet it is still nourishing. He is the master chef of His recipes. Some soups take some time for our taste buds to adjust to, but we must begin to taste of his goodness to be able to appreciate what He is offering.

Dear Lord,
Please help my taste buds to adjust to what you are offering to feed me with. May my heart be warmed by your touch and my soul nourished by your Word. In your name I pray with Thanksgiving, Amen.

4 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Homemaker05 } at: November 20, 2007 at 7:14 AM said...

Thank you for sharing your heart in the midst of your pain. Loss is something that is so personal, yet you chose to allow the Lord to use yours to serve Him anyway he will. I hurt for you and will keep you in my prayers today especially!

{ Angie } at: November 20, 2007 at 9:24 AM said...

Oh friend (((hug))). Praying you continue feeling the warm comforting presence of the Lord as He ministers to you in your loss. Sending my love and care to you and your family.

{ A Place For Ministry Wives } at: November 20, 2007 at 7:26 PM said...

I am so sorry about your loss, Lisa.

Everything you wrote in this post drew me closer to you as a sister-in-Christ.

Jess at: November 21, 2007 at 1:16 PM said...

i'm sorry, lisa. it IS difficult to know how to speak when friends are going through painful situations. i pray God will fill you with His Presence during this time...
love,
jess

Share SLF