Can We Grow Up?

As many of you know, we founded a new online magazine for girls at Growing in Grace and my time has been spent building that ministry for my girls and our other writers. Our February issue will be ready shortly! While writing short devotions for the young readers over there, the topic of today is a topic that adults experience as well. Are we accepted by other women in the church?

Why is it that we obsess over being accepted? Why do we worry about what others think of us? Maybe you have heard of the movie Mean Girls starring Lindsay Lohan? This film was inspired by a book written by Rosalind Wiseman called 'Queen Bees and Wannabees'. I read this book during a time when my oldest daughter was in school and was intrigued by how much women in the church still behave in this adolescent manner.

Why is it so hard for women to just grow up? Why do the cliques continue into adult life? Isn't this something we should put behind us? Not only do I see this in churches today, but even on some internet communites. There has to come a time in our lives when we just put this petty thinking aside and just focus on Jesus.

C.D. Baker said in his book '101 Cups of Water', "When I keep my eyes on Jesus, right living happens." That is a statement that has stuck in my mind and I don't ever want to lose it!

For those of you with daughters at home, I pray that our online magazine, Growing in Grace, will be a place where your daughters can feel accepted for who they are in Christ. Our desire is to bring hope and inspiration to young ladies while they journey through this life with Christ. I do hope you'll help spread the word about this growing girls ministry. It has been a wonderful time for my daughters and I as we serve the Lord together in bringing His Word to the young ladies of today.

What do you and your daughters do together for the Lord? How can you make a difference among the circles you walk with?

3 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Angie } at: January 23, 2008 at 10:03 AM said...

This quality is so esteemed in the world and carries over too easily into the church. The older I get, the less it is a problem for me though. Let's do all we can to keep it from getting its hooks into our girls. Excellent topic for the online mag.

I'll be doing a Growing in Grace push very soon at my blog. Olivia is going to publicize it at school. I will also email friends and family. The cards are a great idea!

Hey, have you talked to Faith Lifts about it? That just occured to me. I'd also like to go to some tween/teen websites and post info.

YSIC,
A

{ Elisa @ Extravagant Grace } at: January 24, 2008 at 4:10 AM said...

I am so thankful for what you are doing with your girls. You are truly an inspiration to me--especially as my oldest has been asking me to teach her out to do a blog, write devotions, and tell others about Christ. Your example gives vision to working with her.

And this topic of acceptance is huge -- among women young and old. Be blessed as you write boldly for the Lord about it!

Elisa

{ Beloved MaMa } at: February 2, 2008 at 7:38 PM said...

this is such a wonderful idea and so very needed!

Share SLF