Fool's Gold

Treasure Seekers Part 1

As we begin to journey through our treasure hunt, we will discover gold nuggets along the way. A wonderful thing about Proverbs is that it's all the wisdom God shared with King Solomon. Out of all the things Solomon could have asked God for, he chose wisdom.


As we live this life on earth, we have the ability and access to God, through His son Jesus, to have wisdom.


I could write a devotion on every single verse, yet I will only choose a few at a time, but this first nugget I came across this morning is so important. If we are wise, we will hear and increase learning. Do we take the time top increase our learing? When someone is speaking to us, do we listen and follow wise counsel? How often do we read about new things and educate ourselves further? Education doesn't stop at 12th grade graduation, for me it was just the begining of my education.


I grew up in the public school system in Los Angeles, not the greatest place to grow up! The school I graduated from was riddled with gang violence and we had our share of bomb threats and campus raids from rival schools. There was so much distraction for me growing up that I did not focus on my education. I enjoyed Algebra and had the BEST teacher, I also love Geography and Science, and even took French for two years. However, my desire to really learn did not come until I was nearly 21 years old.


It was then that I came to the Lord and began to read avidly. I was not interested in the popular love novels, I wanted to read books on how to increase my relationship with the Lord. I read books on marriage, parenting, sharing my faith, and even an assortment of health books.

I now read information about various topics from sports, politics, fashion, and electronics. My husband and I work in our community among various fundrasing groups and businessmeetings and it's nice to know that when I'm in a group of strangers I can key in on what they're talking about and participate in an intelligent conversation.

Although I can sit around a dinner table with government dignitaries, it does me little good if I do not heed to the counsel of wise men and women. I want to be a woman of understanding, and thus God's Word is specific that a 'man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels'. Now let me ask you this, "If a man of understanding listens to wise counsel, what does that make us if we do not attain unto wise counsel?"


Has there been a time when you sought godly advice and did not heed to their admonishment?

If the advice they gave you was not wise then you are wise in not following them, but if their answer comes from the Lord and is in conjunction with scripture then we are considered wise to follow that advice. We need to be careful to not follow false wisdom. False wisdom is like pyrite, it's fools gold, and is the world's advice. Be cautious not to get caught up in the advice from the world. Many television shows today teaches young people that their philosophy of life is the way life goes, yet just because that may be for those who follow the world's advice, it is not so for those who wish to live with wisdom, and that true wisdom comes from God's word.

pyrite: fool's gold, no value


gold: pure gold, valuable

Proverbs 1:5, "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding will attain unto wise counsels:"

Lord, may we strive to attain unto the wise counsel we receive. In your name I pray, Amen.

1 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Miss Amanda } at: February 6, 2008 at 8:10 PM said...

Wonderful! This was a great post. This was very encouraging. I know I struggle with this. I don't always do what I have listened to.
haha... Actually I already tried, but they have everything filled. Maybe next time... Auntie Gena is always watching for me though. :)
Thanks for coming by. I always love to see you!
Love, Prayers, and Blessings,
Miss Amanda
http://superangelsblog.com

Share SLF