Home Routines

Among different homeschool support groups I frequent, the subject of finding balance comes up most often. How do we keep our balance between home educating, laundry, training our children, and pleasing our husbands? Many years ago, my pastor taught on Biblical Priorities. I wrote those priorities inside the front cover of my Bible, just in case. Just in case of what, you ask? Just in case I fall short as a sinner and lose sight of them of course.

As a homeschooling mom, I have added in our education. I wondered where I would add this into the list he gave us. It’s not above God of course, nor could I place it above my husband. My family relationships come before the textbooks, yet housework is a definite priority as it pertains to my family relationships. How can I have my heart right with my husband and have a chaotic household? If I’m not right with my husband, I am therefore not right with my Savior.

On my list I chose to place education with that of the housework. I can’t say that education is more important than the home, in the home of a homeschooling family; my children can’t possibly concentrate in an unorganized home. Yet, I also cannot live in an immaculate home with uneducated children. I feel these two priorities go hand in hand. After this we add in our ministries and then others. The priority of others would be our friends and leisure time. Our friends are an important part of our lives and they need a portion of our schedules. Here is how this list of priorities looks;

God

Spouse

Family

Education/Housework

Ministry

Others

We have found a routine that works for us and of course, when you take into consideration that each family size is different and each family has different additions to their schedule, you can adjust your schedule to suit your own needs. I feel it’s important to remember that we must be flexible. When a child, or the mom, is ill then the whole family should pull together to make the routine work. Some things can go undone, while others cannot. The dishes can remain on the counter as long as they’re rinsed well. The laundry can remain dirty as long as it’s picked up off the floor and placed into a basket. Every item in the home doesn’t have to be put away, as long as you toss them all into a basket to sort through later. Different things are thrown into our day from time to time and being flexible is vital! Just be sure to spend a few days catching up.

For the sake of time I am leaving the rest of this information in a list form for easier reading. I will work on breaking these down into individual devotions over the next month.

1. Devotions/Bible/Prayer.

2. Diligent housework for one hour.

3. School work; amidst folding laundry.

4. Take regular breaks as needed.

5. As long as the basics of my home are in order, the rest can wait.

6. Once my husband comes home, we cater to his desires.

7. Serve dinner and clean up.

8. We try to get out of the house at least once each week for an evening walk after dinner.

9. Each child has their own FlyRoutine to be responsible for.

This list doesn’t even begin to cover how full our days are, but it’s a starting point of how I work everything into our priorities.

As long as I know my priorities are in order, my day is much more balanced. On days when the kids are struggling with obedience or manners, we stop everything and address that. Our children's obedience to us in the Lord is a high priority.

Ephesians 6:1-2, “Children, you’re your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;” (KJV)

Sometimes we need to have some extra time reading our Bibles and writing out verses to help instill these principles; it still counts as reading and writing. Asking them to write about how God has spoken to them about a verse can also count as creative writing.

Any amount of time being close to God is an added benefit.

After all, education comes from Him, the Great Creator created us in 7 days and filled the Ark with animals two by two (Math), The Author and Finisher of our Faith(Reading and Writing), The Alpha and The Omega (Latin), He's the Prince of Peace (Manners and Life Skills), The Son of God (Family Tree and History), He's the Potter, we're the Clay (Arts and crafts), The Counselor (Psychology), The Bright and Morning Star (Science), and The Lily of the Valley (Biology).

Lord, may we find a balance that pleases you and that our homes would be resting place for the souls that reside with us. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


*This message originally posted at Faith Lifts.
keywords: ,,,,

Apples of Gold Ministries

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

3 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Charlene } at: June 3, 2008 at 1:35 PM said...

Thank you for showing me the list of priorities that a woman should have! I am learning that a spouse should be above family. I am not married but if someday I should be, then I will remember that. It is also good to know that family relations and quality of time comes above housework. I have been thinking about that a lot lately. Your post is great!!

{ Wendy } at: June 3, 2008 at 7:40 PM said...

Very thought provoking, thanks ;)

{ Sisterlisa } at: June 4, 2008 at 9:21 AM said...

Thank you ladies. I think housework is a daily struggle for many women. I know for me it is. We just have to schedule it and make the time. I love the flylady routine, It works quite well for us. But we adjust it according to our home's needs.

Share SLF