Keeping the Heart


One morning as I woke up, I pulled my slippers on over my cold feet and put on my sweater as I headed to the kitchen for my cup of coffee. As I was turning on my computer and getting situated at my desk with my Bible, my daughter’s alarm began to ring. Yesterday we had discussed about feeding her soul and she knew she needed to feed her soul more so it wouldn’t starve to death.

As I sat down to read my devotions, she came to her computer, which is at my desk as well, and she grabbed her Bible too. I had sent her an e-mail with a link to a devotion site that I wanted her to read. As she read the message, she responded to the author about how it helped her, she then opened her Bible to read. She found a verse that really jumped off the page at her. I also had some verses jump into my heart as I was reading and we both wrote them down on a 3x5 card to memorize.

I chose
Proverbs 4:20-23:

20"My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.

21Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.

22For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.

23Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life."


I love how the Holy Spirit speaks through God’s Word! After reading this passage this is what he was saying to me:

“Lisa, listen to my words and what they’re saying to you. Read my Word and memorize the scriptures. It will bring life to your heart and your body. Keep them in your heart Lisa, diligently, and when issues come up you’ll have the answers you need for your life.”

Has God’s Word departed from our eyes and have we stopped listening to Him? Do we keep His Words in our hearts? I think about Titus 2:5 and that women are to be the keepers of the home. We ‘keep’ our homes clean and tidy. We are diligent to ‘keep’ the home a safe place of rest for our families. We ‘keep’ up with all that needs to be done to have a peaceful living environment for our families to be nurtured in.

-Yet how do we ‘keep’ our hearts?
-Are our hearts a safe haven of rest for Spirit of God?
-Do we ‘keep’ our hearts clean and unspotted from the world?
-Are our hearts kept in a peaceful manner and nurtured in our relationship with the Lord?


I bought a large package of 3x5 cards for us to write down the verses that jump off the pages of the Bible each day. I keep my card at the computer all day and take them in my purse when I leave the house. There are plenty of doctor’s appointments, traffic jams, and lengthy waiting times throughout my week that I could spend memorizing scripture. Are we ‘diligent’ about keeping them in our hearts? Challenge yourself today by selecting a verse to memorize this week. God is faithful and will never leave us nor forsake us. Let’s not forsake Him.



*This message originally posted by me at Faith Lifts.
keywords: , ,


Apples of Gold Ministries

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

4 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Californialily } at: June 4, 2008 at 8:10 AM said...

Thank you for writing this! It seems that the posts you write go into accord into what God is calling me to do in my life! Last night, I felt an urge in my heart to read God's word. I reached for my Left Behind books but it wasn't where God wanted me to look. I asked God to help me wake up early in the mornings and to memorize his word. I woke up energized at very early this morning and started memorizing Proverbs 31 again! The verses you wrote are perfect and just what I needed to hear! Thank you for sharing!

{ Sisterlisa } at: June 4, 2008 at 9:19 AM said...

I was actually thinking about you the other day about this. After I posted this article I remembered how you have been memorizing. I'd like to continue my memorizing of Prov 31 with you. I had it half way at one time, but would love a buddy to continue it with.

{ Marlene&Charlene } at: June 4, 2008 at 11:25 AM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
{ Californialily } at: June 4, 2008 at 11:26 AM said...

I am at halfway too! I admit that I got sidetracked but I would love to finish memorizing all of Proverbs 31 with you and to repeat it to myself daily :)

Share SLF