Marriage Defined

This last week I was speaking to my husband about our marriage series here at Apples of Gold and something really weighed heavy on my heart. We see in the news today that there is some confusion as to what marriage really is and how that term is defined. We voted last year to keep the definition of marriage as between a man and a woman and our vote won. Yet, now for some reason a Superior Court judge in the state of California thinks he can change that law on his own and many county clerks are following through with issuing marriage licenses to those whose relationship does not have the proper and legal definition.

I personally use one book as my text in regards to this issue in life and that is the Holy Bible. One local pastor at Trinity United Methodist Church has announced that he will perform these marriages and yet I have to wonder what he is using as his religious text. I am certain that it's not hard to understand God's word on this topic. In the book of Leviticus chapter 18 God lists the abominations;

"22Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

23Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.

24Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you:

25And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.

26Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:

27(For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled;)

28That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you.

29For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.

30Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the LORD your God. King James Version (KJV)"

I think it's very clear that not only does God NOT want man to lie with man, but also that a human not lie down with a beast. Both of these are abominations listed together in the Bible and these verses go on to explain the consequences of these actions. If you study the entire chapter you'll also see that to uncover the nakedness of your sister, mother, brother, etc.. is on the same list of abominations to the Lord. He is very clear that He wants the people to be pure and undefiled. If same gender relationships continue and become legal, then what happens when people insist that they are 'in love' with their own children? Will that group of people then push their views upon the children and defile them legally? Will those who lie with beast push for laws to make it legal for humans to procreate with beast? Where do you draw the line? I know where God draws His line!

Leviticus 20:13, " If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." KJV

Leviticus 20:15, "And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast."

God made sure to explain these verses and he lists them together in his commands. How can we overlook these commands from the Lord and say it is left to your own interpretation? I don't see any other way to interpret these verses other than DO NOT have these kinds of physical relationships. He know from history that God was sorely displeased with the lifestyle in Sodom and Gomorrah when he rained fire and brimstone upon their land and destroyed them.

2 Peter 2:6, " And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;"

Jude 1:7, " Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire."

I live in the state of California and this state is about to make a seriously unwise decision in allowing these marriages to take place legally. It was reported that '..as early as mid June same gender couples may be issued marriage licenses...' Now has anyone else noticed that mid-June is also the time that the state of California also suffered severe loss due to fires?

This is a time for all Christians to be praying for the people of America and the state of California. I do not want my children growing up seeing physical intimacy that is contrary to God's law right on the local news stations. When God told Abraham that He was going to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah, Abraham sought mercy from the Lord because his cousin Lot dwelled there. God stayed his wrath from Sodom and Gomorrah for just a short time while Abraham tried to get Lot and his family out of the city. We do not know how long God will stay His hand from the modern day Sodom of San Francisco. Should the state of California make these relationships legal institutions, I will fear for the entire state. We know from the Bible that the world will have an end, and many have said that they sense the end is near.

In the book of Genesis we know that God created Adam and a wife for him named Eve. He created them male and female. He commanded them to multiply, by having children. If you study biology you'll know from Science that life is created through male and female, not just with humans, but all life is multiplied by male and female genes.

Genesis 1:27," So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

Genesis 6:19,"And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female."

Genesis 7:3, " Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth."

Genesis 7:16, " And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the LORD shut him in."

Genesis 4:1, " And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD."

We know that God created woman for man.

Genesis 2:22, "And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man."

verse 24, "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."

It was Eve who gave birth to the children. Without the male and female organs and genes the human race would not have existed. Women have been gifted with the ability to have children, but must do so with the help of man. Even among those who think they can have children by artificial insemination, the male and female gene must exist. God created man and woman for each other. As a woman I am proud to be female. I am thrilled that my body can create human life, and feed my own infant with the body God created for me.

Have you ever been walking with your children in the park and your child ask, "Is that a man or a woman?" as they point to a human walking down the path. How can you tell? Usually a child can tell if the human has long hair, wears certain clothing, and has some sort of chest that signifies that they are female. Yet in today's culture we see cross gendering, men who dress as women and women who hide their femininity. The future generation of humans have an ever changing culture that brings confusion.

1 Corinthians 14:33, " For God is not the author of confusion"

God was very specific in how he created humans, male and female. His purpose is for male and female to bear children. We see many different races be proud of who they are. There is African American Pride, Asian Pride, Hispanic Pride, Caucasian Pride and even Deaf Pride. These are people who are proud of who they were created to be. Well, I am a woman. I am proud to be female and do not hide the fact that I am a woman. I do not have to wear clothing that reveals my female parts, but I do wear clothing that is clearly feminine. My children do not have to worry that their friends won't know if I'm the mommy or the daddy in our family. There will be no confusion from our family.

Marriage is between a man and a woman, just as God ordained it in His Word.

BY definition:

Man- an adult male person, as distinguished from a boy or a woman.

Male- a person bearing an X and Y chromosome pair in the cell nuclei and normally having a penis, scrotum, and testicles, and developing hair on the face at adolescence; a boy or man.

Husband- a married man, esp. when considered in relation to his wife.

2.an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces a sperm cell or male gamete.

Woman- the female human being (distinguished from man).

Female-

1.a person bearing two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and developing at puberty a relatively rounded body and enlarged breasts, and retaining a beardless face; a girl or woman.
2.an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces egg cells.

Wife- a woman joined in marriage to a man; a woman considered in relation to her husband; spouse.

Marriage- the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.

Let's keep the definition as God ordained it to be.

keywords: , ,


Apples of Gold Ministries

↑ Grab this Headline Animator



9 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Californialily } at: June 17, 2008 at 6:55 PM said...

Excellent post Lisa! It's unbelievable how this is being okay-ed in California right now! I don't want my children to grow up in that kind of world, sigh. We know that it is one of the signs of the end times.

{ Lisa } at: June 18, 2008 at 7:50 PM said...

Lisa,

I'm going to link your message on my site for others to read what you wrote. Informational and most importantly it's based on the TRUTH and we solely find the standard of truth to live by in the Word of God (Bible).

When people began removing GOD from everything the trouble became what we see. According to the Word it will get worse not better, until our Lord Jesus Christ returns for the church. Until then we must TAKE a stand for what is right but the truth is Lisa that we often see this very confusion that your message addresses, in the church body as well. Noted in your point that a local pastor is going to engage in these proceedings. Children are very confused because there are mixed messages on just about every subject. We know that satan is the 'author of confusion' but GOD does things 'decent and in order'. We pray and we take a stand in the Name and for the sake of Christ and we raise our children according to His teachings.

God bless you.
Lisa Shaw
lisashawministries.org

{ Sisterlisa } at: June 18, 2008 at 9:26 PM said...

Thanks for commenting Charlene and Lisa. We must make our voices heard to our government officials and before the Great King Himself. I pray that our country gets what it NEEDS rather what what it deserves.

{ Sisterlisa } at: June 19, 2008 at 6:06 AM said...

This comment was made by a poster and I removed it because of where the nme linked to. But I wanted to reply so I am pasting in her comment..."Sisterlisa, do you really believe that the acceptance of homosexuality is 'the,' or even one of 'the' foremost things that increases God’s wrath?

I found your sentiments so horrendously insulting and offensive that I wrote my own post in response.

But I don't want to hate you. You don't seem like a mean person.

Do you really believe that I should be "put to death" as God's Word commands?"


Let's remember that God allowed Abraham to go to the city of Sodom to try and reach the people. He knew that Lot lived there and he pleaded with God that if there was ANY one who would repent would God spare the town and God said YES!

God created marriage and He has given His commands on how he wants us to follow His plan. It is very clear in scripture that some things are not pleasing to God. There are some sins that are listed as abominations. Having unnatural affections is one of those abominations.
God lists sexual sins such as man being with a man/woman being with a woman, incest, and bestiality together. It's very evident to me that He is not happy with these lifestyles.
God does indeed love the humans He has created, but He does not love some of the choices we make in this world. I am just as guilty of sin as anyone else. I know that should I continue in a sin that does not please God that He would be a loving and just Father and discipline me. He loves us enough to discipline us, just as any loving parent would for their child. God also forgives us when we repent. Repent means to turn from doing that which is not bringing us closer to God.
If my daughter was to lie to me I would discipline her. Should she continue to lie to me she would continue to suffer consequences. That's fair and just. If a person steals, the judge issues a punishment. If the person repents and seeks to restore those they stole from they are forgiven and once their punishment is over they get to move on, but if they do NOT repent and they continue in their crime, the Judge, being a just judge, will continue to issue consequences to the thief.

Sometimes people don't like what a preacher says or an author, but if it came straight from the Bible, then why be upset with the person for repeating the text? Does the thief get upset when the Judge repeats what the law is in court when he receives his just punishment? Yes sometimes they do, but the judge's job is to uphold the law. You can be upset with me, but I'm just bringing the verses right from the Bible. We must be warned that God is NOT pleased with the sin that is so rampant in this world. I will not keep quiet about God's Word on my blog, I do work hard at being kind, but at the same time I am not going to apologize for what God said in His very own book. You can take it up with Him.

There will be more devotions and articles that I write on this blog about a variety of things, not many will like it. But if it's in the Bible, you really need to consider asking God about it. He's not going to change His Word so that we can feel comfortable with our sin.

I do plead with you dear poster, seek the Lord and His truth. He does love you and wants you to repent and live a life that would bring you closer to Him. We must seek to please our Heavenly father, even more so than we would our own earthly parents.

To some this concept of a loving relationship, in obedience with the Father is foreign. Sometimes it's hard for people to understand. Sure it makes me uncomfortable when someone points out a sin in my life, but I do all I can to repent and make those things right, because I want my Father to be happy with me. We can either continue in our sin and be uncomfortable, or we can repent and make ourselves right with God. I love the Lord and so I choose to make my heart right with Him. Even if it means giving up something I like to do.

Being a Christian doesn't make us perfect. We all sin and sin is sin in God's eyes. But if we continue in sin, that doesn't help us at all.

I pray for you dear poster, that you will know the redemption that God offers you.

{ Lisa } at: June 19, 2008 at 6:23 AM said...

Lisa,

I'm in a different time zone so I had already read the posters comment and reviewed the article against your posting on the blog.

Whenever we take a stance for the Bible whether it be in our Christian communities or secular, we face disagreement and at times even persecution and anger. I will share with you what someone told me long ago, "they are no rejecting you Lisa they are rejecting the message of Christ. It's not a personal attack." That helped me for many years now.

Love, pray and continue forward as the Lord leads you. John the Baptist dealt with it on a much more difficult level than anyone of us could today who speak the truth of the Word.

GOD hates the sin and loves the sinner. We see that in the fact that each one of us who are believers, came to salvation due to GOD'S love for us and our embracing of it through faith in Christ. We are "saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ". We too are to hate the sin and not the sinner.

Lisa, keep praying, keep loving and keep writing as the Holy Spirit leads you. Keep your focus on sharing the subject matters your heart is pressed to share. You're a blessing.

{ Sisterlisa } at: June 19, 2008 at 6:30 AM said...

Thank you Lisa. I appreciate your comments and encouragement. I did not go to their blog to read their message. My article was not to attack a person in particular and my readers know that. I do understand that people are rejecting the message from Jesus and I'm not offended by that at all. I am sad for them because they're missing a spectacular relationship with the Lord. I write what God leads me to write and I pray the readers will draw close to the Lord.

{ Lisa } at: June 19, 2008 at 6:38 AM said...

Amen Lisa!

You have the right heart motivation and so we pray, love and speak with a caring and truthful voice as the Holy Spirit leads.

Looking forward to reading more messages. God bless.

{ Martha } at: June 20, 2008 at 12:17 PM said...

I agree with every single thing that you have posted... I have actually heard homosexuals say, "we're all sinners!" and it brings me sadness. Yes we are all sinners but we're not supposed to use that as an excuse. We are supposed to repent and end the sinful life that we are leading. If we keep living that life of sin, then I dont' think we're truly glorified with God's love.

Kudos to you and YES! The fire happened at the same time people began flocking here for same-sex marriages, wow, I didn't think of it!

{ Californialily } at: June 22, 2008 at 8:31 PM said...

I applaud your response Lisa and it is very true! It's just as appalling as if I were to steal something and then proudly say I am a thief. I cannot go out and expect people to respect me as a thief, start churches for thieves, and say I was born this way and everyone has to accept it.

I do believe that some people may feel sexual temptation for members of the same sex. The devil tempts us on horrible things. Just because we feel tempted to commit sinful acts does not mean we are to follow and obey these lusts. Having temptation for something does not mean that is who you are. God knows who we are because he formed us from his hand. Man and woman, with a purpose.

Share SLF