Be Defenseless Before the Lord

Has it ever occurred to you why we bow our heads when we pray? In the simplest explanation, as I tell it to my children, we close our eyes to focus on God and bow our heads in reverence to Him. Yet there is so much more to bowing our heads when it comes to prayer. Bowing means to show obeisance and worship.
2 Samuel 14:4, "And when the woman of Tekoah spake to the king, she fell on her face to the ground, and did obeisance, and said, Help, O king."

2 Chronicles 20:18, "And Jehoshaphat bowed his head with his face to the ground: and all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem fell before the LORD, worshipping the LORD."

Genesis 24:52, "And it came to pass, that, when Abraham's servant heard their words, he worshipped the LORD, bowing himself to the earth."
Read each of these verses above and the entire story that encompasses them.

Worship by definition: To adore; to pay divine honors to; to reverence with supreme respect and veneration.
Esther 8:3-4, "And Esther spake yet again before the king, and fell down at his feet, and besought him with tears to put away the mischief of Haman the Agagite, and his device that he had devised against the Jews.

4Then the king held out the golden sceptre toward Esther. So Esther arose, and stood before the king."

You can't defend yourself when your face is to the ground. Maybe you'll recall the last time someone brought a weakness, or failure of yours, to your attention and the first thing you thought to do was defend yourself. I know a man who calls this, 'becoming your own lawyer'. Yet when we are coming to the Lord, we cannot be our own lawyer. We have nothing to defend when it comes to our relationship with the Lord. Jesus willingly gave himself as the sacrifice for our sins. We do not deserve to have the only perfect man who ever lived, to sacrifice himself for us. When we become our own lawyer we are displaying the same sin that caused Lucifer's fall from heaven, the sin of pride.

To defend oneself we must put on the armor, use the shield, and have a weapon in our hands. Yet when we come to the Lord we do not need those items. We have nothing to defend. In the presence of the Lord is safety, peace, and assurance. We don't need armor to come unto Him.

Just as the people in these verses, they willingly came to those in authority over them without defense. Queen Esther sacrificed her own life to enter the throne room of her king. She came without any defense, bowed herself to him, completely unarmed.

We also see Ruth who showed reverence for Boaz. Keep in mind that Ruth was from a heathen nation and Naomi's kinsman did not have to accept her into their community. She humbled herself without defense, to Boaz, when he showed grace unto her.
Ruth 2:10,"Then she fell on her face, and bowed herself to the ground, and said unto him, Why have I found grace in thine eyes, that thou shouldest take knowledge of me, seeing I am a stranger?"
When we bow our faces to the ground, we are laying aside our pride and approaching God without armor, without pride. We are completely without defense, thus laying ourselves down to sacrifice ourselves unto the Lord.

The sin of pride creates a hardness around our hearts and makes it difficult to allow the Lord to reach His spirit inside our hearts to commune with us. We must lay aside our pride, put down our defenses and open our hearts wide open, becoming vulnerable to the Lord our God. When we can lay aside that pride and come to him with the heart he desires, he cam commune with us in a very intimate way. We lay down those things that blocks God from communing with us.

There have been times in my life where I bowed my face unto the ground to pray for something specific and I experienced an amazing intimate relationship with the Lord. The Lord brought me to that place again and I want to continue in that direction.

Here are a few helps to consider:
1. Schedule a time and place where you won't be interrupted.
2. Do not have any music playing or background noise.
3. Have tissue or a hanky nearby for tears.
4. Have a paper and pen with you to write down things God brings to your mind.
5. Come before Him with praise and thanksgiving.
6. Lay aside any 'armor' of pride you may have.
7. Enjoy your time with the Lord.
If He brings a sin to your mind that you know you have been dealing with, let Him commune with you about it. Hand that thing over to Him and let Him have that place in your heart.

Stay there with the Lord as long as He wants you there. Be prepared that you may be there for an hour or more. You should leave that place wanting more. Each day you allow the Lord to have you like this, will draw you so much closer to Him than ever before. The fervency of your prayer should be strong, just as if you were praying for the very life of your child.

If you don't know what to pray for, ask for a burden that will keep you on your face before the Lord. He will begin to open your eyes in ways you cannot imagine. He will ask you to carry a burden of prayer for people, let Him do so. It is an honor when the Lord calls upon you to pray for someone and it brings you closer to Himself.

I pray this message will be a blessing to you and your relationship with the Lord. It certainly has helped me.

When I applied what he taught over a two day period to my life this morning, God opened my heart in ways I cannot explain. The Lord showed me things to pray for and opened my heart in a very real and deep intimate way. He made some unclear things more clear to me. He made them crystal clear. I began praying for things that most people would say is impossible, yet God himself showed me the direction to pray for. I knew in my heart that He wanted me to pray in specific directions for people. Everything that He laid upon my heart was Biblically founded, thus showing me that I was praying for His will in those situations.

May the Lord bless you as you enter into an intimate encounter with the Lord God Almighty.

Sisterlisa is a homeschooling mom of four children and married to a ministry leader of a Rescue mission. She is the owner of Growing in Grace Magazine and AGMinistries.


Apples of Gold Ministries

↑ Grab this Headline Animator



3 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Serendipitymom12 } at: February 11, 2009 at 10:25 PM said...

I have experienced this way of praying for the first time this past weekend. It was my grief and hearing the wonderful sermon from the same man that brought me to my knees, face down. I was there until my legs fell asleep and I longed for more. It feels more intimate with the Lord in prayer than any other time I have ever experienced. It works!

{ Martha } at: February 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM said...

The power of prayer is truly AMAZING! I have been getting down on my knees for the past few weeks and it brings me goosebumps without fail. It's amazing how beautiful a prayer is when you humble yourself. God has heard my prayers and proved it to me countless of times, I am in awe and I am not worthy of His love. He is good!

{ Tessa } at: March 31, 2009 at 7:23 PM said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Ruth

http://besttoddler.com

Share SLF