Cultural Christianity at Work

Have you ever tried to find a good blog or website that talks about your Biblical role only to find Cultural Christianity instead of Biblical living? I came across a site tonight that appeared to be 'Christian'. Articles that grab your attention to failing femininity, nurture a Biblical worldview, our stance will not always be popular, etc. Then next to those they write movie reviews of immoral films, down to the detail!

If we are that naive to think that we need to read an in depth review on an immoral film to see if we should watch it or not, then we obviously aren't reading our Bible enough! I grew up in a secular home watching most movies that came across the 'New Release' shelf. I studied Film as Lit, not only in school but also as a hobby. My family was BIG on films, knowing actors names, and their personal lives. I am going to give you a few tips to keep in mind when choosing films to watch.

PG-13 should be a red flag! Why would the entertainment industry caution those under 13 from watching it? Their standards are OBVIOUSLY not the same as Jesus has already told us in His Word. On the back of any film, where the rating label is, it will tell you WHY it has that rating. It may warn you about vulgarity, crude humor, partial nudity, etc. Right away you should put the film down! Why would you allow the same eyes that the Holy Spirit sees through, to see such things?

Rated R: Umm do you need an explanation for this one? Okay so The Patriot and The Passion are rated R, we know it's for violent scenes, there is no nudity, a few inappropriate words in The Patriot. If you have a TV Guardian, maybe you afford yourselves a few flicks if you know it's for language. Please be cautious! Some films have a language rating, but during the film the content of the conversations are about immoral physical behavior. For the most part, all rated R films are BAD for Christians.

PG, Parental Guidance Suggested: Remember what a said above about the entertainment industry's standards? Many years ago I watch a film from Disney that was rated PG. In the FIRST scene the camera showed a CLOSE UP of the man's REAR END. It took up the WHOLE screen! THAT was PG. Needless to say we took it back and demanded our money back and made a formal complaint to the store.

Actors/Actresses: Many of them are KNOWN for their immoral films, so why bother watching them? Time and time again I would try a film that I KNEW the actor was immoral and practically kicked myself for even trying to watch them.

Review Sites: There are a few 'Christian' review sites that offer the scoop on what positive elements, spiritual content, violent content, etc is contained in them. I'm sorry but I just HAVE to ask, what 'Christian' is watching all these films and reporting every tiny detail? I am quite certain they struggle with deep immoral temptations. Why can't someone just say 'Hey you know that film coming out this weekend? I know that actor has a bad reputation for immoral conduct in all his films, he also uses vulgar humor. Don't watch it.' Why do we think we can pick and choose which sins we'll allow across our television screens?

I do highly recommend a TV Guardian. We have the DVD/VHS combo machine with it built in, by Sanyo. Yet even though we have that we are careful what we watch.

My main point in writing today is that we don't need Pop Culture 'Christianity' to tell us the details about such films. We can use common sense and Biblical wisdom. Don't get caught up in those so called 'Christian' sites and their reviews. If we know the Word, we will know if it's a film or book we can read or not.

Psalm 101:3, "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."

Sisterlisa is a homeschooling mom of four children and married to a ministry leader of a Rescue mission. She is the owner of Growing in Grace Magazine and AGMinistries.


Apples of Gold Ministries

↑ Grab this Headline Animator



4 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Brooke } at: February 5, 2009 at 4:45 AM said...

Awesome post!! I am grieved that so many believers today don't exercise discernment regarding the movies they see. I have Christian friends who believe that the films they watch won't affect them in any way and that basically entertainment is just entertainment. This is a lie from the devil!! It saddens me so!

Thanks for the advice and help with choosing a wholesome movie. If we took enough effort to find out whether a movie is acceptable or not, we would save our minds and spirits a lot of pain and damage.

All that we should do should honor the Lord and the movies we choose are no exception!

{ Serendipitymom12 } at: February 5, 2009 at 10:33 AM said...

Very good post Lisa! I even hesitate over PG movies. I rented one before thinking it was harmless and there was so much homosexuality and lusting in that movie! I was shocked and I just plain don't watch worldly movies anymore. I rarely watch movies for myself now, and when I do, it'll be from a Christian director, Christian-based. I also enjoy documentaries that make us think and recognize current events, BUT other than that, no movies or cable for me.

{ Cassie or Cassandra } at: February 5, 2009 at 1:31 PM said...

such a good point sis. I have never allowed myself to see an r rated movie for the simple fact that at a theater you have to have an id or guardian with you if you are under a certain age (17 I think) and I feel like that would be in some ways as bad as drinking or smoking (in that the world requires you to meet certain standards such as age). I am so sad at some of the PG 13 movies I have watched however, I wish I had never seen many of them. TV Guardians are wonderful things we have the exact same machine you have sis. as for Charlene's comment about cable _ AWESOME point many times it can be just as bad if not worse.

{ Martha } at: February 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM said...

By reading my twitter updates, I'm sure it is obvious that I disagree with most movie ratings. I watched "The Express" and giggled with glee because it was a PG movie!! My jaw literally dropped when I saw a scene between unmarried couples that involved a removal of the blouse. Someone told me, "oh it didn't show nudity so it's no big deal."

What?? PG is meant for children, PG-13 is meant for cursing, and R rated movies are for nudity. People are becoming more accepting of offensive scenes because we are seeing terrible things in the world on a daily basis... ugh... I am saddened by this :(

Share SLF