Why Can't I Sleep in?

Proverbs 6:6-11, " 6Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: 7Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, 8Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest. 9How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep? 10Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: 11So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man."

I understand there are days when we know we need some extra shut eye, but we need to be careful of how much and how often. Maybe you think "Why not? Who will know if I'm sleeping in?" God knows when we allow ourselves to sleep in just because we don't want to wake up and yet we are commanded not to love sleep. Too much sleep will make it more difficult to wake up and more difficult to develop a proper sleep schedule. Just as too little sleep can ruin our mood, also too much sleep can do the same thing. What can happen if we allow ourselves too much sleep? We become lazy and don't accomplish a lot during the day. But is this the only sleep He could be talking about here?

Sometimes we are asleep spiritually and not able to see clearly. Are we slumbering before the presence of our Lord? Do you need some Living Water and Breath of His Spirit to wake you?

Luke 11:13, "If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?"


If you're feeling spiritually sleepy, ask Him to revive you.



Sisterlisa is a homeschooling mom of four children and married to a ministry leader of a Rescue mission. She is the owner of Growing in Grace Magazine and AGMinistries.

Apples of Gold Ministries



4 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Martha } at: March 28, 2009 at 4:22 PM said...

Oh my, I knew 'sleeping in' was distasteful but I had no idea it was mentioned in the Bible :o) wow!

I admit, I slept away my days in High School. When I was pregnant, I was so exhausted and I couldn't keep my eyes open. Nowadays, I am learning how to wake up with the family and look presentable right after breakfast. I am able to do so many things in my day now that I am making use of it :)

Slowly but surely, I want to make a habit of waking up before the entire family does. Oh my! Thanks for sharing the scriptures with us :)

{ Miss Charlene } at: March 28, 2009 at 11:16 PM said...

God has this pattern with food too, and anything we have in excess. We only should take what we need. A person only needs 6-8 hours of sleep a day. I wouldn't want the Lord to call me a sluggard.

{ Lauren } at: April 7, 2009 at 10:39 AM said...

I really appreciated this reminder. It is a bit difficult for me to know how best to obey since I'm pregnant and sleep is definitely important.

I'm not sleeping well at night due to aches and pains in my hips and back. So some days it seems as though I just can't get moving in the morning. And sleeping in has become more and more of a habit.

Do you have any advice for someone in my situation? How can I get the sleep that my body and my baby needs and also make sure to obey God's commands concerning sleep and slothfulness? I'd really like to make better use of my morning hours...

Anyway, thanks!

Lauren @ PearlsAndDiamonds

{ Sisterlisa } at: April 7, 2009 at 2:11 PM said...

Good question Lauren. First of all you need rest if you're about to have a baby. I understand that pain, I have four children and my last child weighed in at just over 10 pounds. :P I would say take time each day for some exercise. Even a few short walks during the day, spaced out to allow for resting times, should help you sleep better. You're body needs exercise in order to sleep well. Also avoid caffeine and food after 6 pm or so, especially sugary foods (this includes fruit) you want to be able to wind down before getting into bed. Try reading in bed too. I hope you find this helpful.

Share SLF