Consider Their End

Have you ever gone to a ministry with the purpose in your mind of 'you' ministering to 'them' only to discover it was them that was chosen by God to minister to you? Too many times in the past I would enter my mission field as the teacher and not allow them to give back to me spiritually all under the pretense of *I* am the teacher. Since January, God has shown me a different ministry within my ministry altogether.

The true Church that our Lord established so many years ago was lead by Him as their head. He gave us the Holy Spirit as His gift to us, to be our teacher. All throughout the Old Testament we see different teachers and in the New Testament we see them using the word Rabbi. In a sense everything before the death of our Saviour, is the Old Testament. Even though the written word has it categorized by man into two different sections, the time span of the Old Testament Law continued through until His death. Some say man began the 'reformation' when Luther left the Catholic Church, but Jesus Christ was the first reformer in the history of the world.

Hebrews 9:10, "Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation."

Jesus took everything that was tangible about religion and made it spiritual. Just as the people of Israel had a temple, Jesus Christ reformed that temple made of bricks into a spiritual temple in us. Just as God had given them priests, Jesus Christ reformed that position and became our High Priest and created in us a royal Priesthood of believers. In the previous religion they had teachers of the Law, Jesus Christ reformed that and gave us His Holy Spirit to be our teacher.

Matthew 23:8, "But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren." John 14:26, "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."


Please don't get me wrong, we have many brothers and sisters in Christ that share God's truth with us very well, but we are fallible humans. We make mistakes when we teach. Yet our great God gave us His Holy Spirit to teach us and He does not lie. He is the perfect teacher. We know that even Paul was not taught by man, but by Jesus Christ himself.

Galatians 1:11-12, "But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. 12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ."


I am not trying to convince you to not learn from other people, but rather to encourage you to focus in on the Holy Spirit as your primary teacher. You see Jesus did not die only to give us eternal life, but He wants us also to put our faith in Him for every aspect of our lives. Shall we only place our faith in Him for salvation and still remain reliant upon fallible man to be our primary teacher?

Do you remember how God sent Moses to free the people from slavery and once they got into the wilderness their faith diminished when they wondered if Moses could feed them? I feel as though those Israelites placed too much faith in the man when it was supposed to be in God. Don't get me wrong Moses was certainly sent by God, but just as a vessel. God was the one performing all those miracles. God was the one who sent the ten plagues to Egypt. God hardened the Pharaoh's heart and sent the death angel to take the first born of all who did not place their faith in him by placing the blood on their doorposts. That was not Moses' doing.

I believe that too many times we place too much faith in man to be our teacher, our leader, when we are to place all our faith in God to allow his Holy Spirit to be our teacher. I am not discrediting any human teacher of God's Word, but rather I am trying to convey to you that our faith is to be in Christ as our primary Teacher and feeder of our souls. He does send us teachers, employers, fellow brethren who disciple us, but He also gives us admonishment to be careful about this.

Hebrews 13:7, " Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation."

Please do not overlook this part, "considering the end of their conversation." Their conversation is not just the words out of their mouths, but their manner of life. Is their manner of life godly? How would we know if their lives are within God's parameters? Have you been taught not to question your religious leaders? Let's take a look at what the word 'considering' means in this verse.

Considering (Greek) Anathaoreo= to look at attentively, to consider well, to observe accurately
Not only is this word used in this passage in Hebrews but also in

Acts 17:22, " Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. 23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you. 24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"
Paul was using the word 'beheld' which has the same origin as 'considering'. He carefully inspected what they were doing in their manner of conversation and found them being ignorant in their worship. As a teacher, or writer, of God's Word we are placing ourselves in a very high position of accountability. For those of you who feel God's calling on your life to write or speak for His Glory, know that people have every right to deeply examine what you teach. For those of you who read our blogs, books, or attend seminars where we teach, you should be considering our conversation. I personally don't want you to take my word for anything, for my word is fallible. Although I believe God leads me when I write and speak, I am just a human. I make mistakes. Therefore I admonish you to rely completely upon the Holy Spirit as your primary Teacher.

In doing so you will find that he does not lie to you, He will not fail you. It is us who fail in our human understanding. Our flesh gets the best of us sometimes and I do recommend you meet with other believers regularly for fellowship and accountability in your walk with Christ. We are all here to help one another get closer to Christ. When I have questions I go to a fellow brother or sister in Christ to help get clarification about a matter I am reading in His Word. I believe this is how God uses your local fellowship of believers and I believe this is why he said not to forsake the gathering of ourselves together. Each member of the Body is used by God to give back to one another in spiritual communion in Christ. This can only be done when each member is given the opportunity to give back when you are gathered together, which is going into another realm of discussion of which I will save for another time.

  • Is your trust in God completely?
  • Have you merely used our Lord Jesus as the Savior of your soul and left the rest in the hands of man?
  • Will you surrender your spiritual education into the hands of God by the power of His Holy Spirit?





Sisterlisa is a homeschooling mom of four children and married to a ministry leader of a Rescue mission. She is the owner of Growing in Grace Magazine and AGMinistries.






4 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Lady Jess } at: August 20, 2009 at 9:10 AM said...

Great article! I love that Paul was taught my Jesus and Jesus alone. I know someone who's testimony is that God taught him how to read. He said that he dropped out of school and then later in life, God gave him the Bible and taught him to read. Isn't that amazing! I love that!

{ Teri Lynne } at: September 12, 2009 at 2:01 PM said...

I am, at this moment, preparing to teach a two-week series on "Preparing Your Heart for Revival" as our church gets ready for our fall revival meetings. And this is such an affirmation to me that I am hearing God's direction as I prepare. He has led me to the OT ... the Israelites ongoing desire to follow a man rather than God. True freedom, true teaching, true living always comes from GOD ... and we must to be ever diligent to seek HIM above any other.

{ Sisterlisa } at: September 12, 2009 at 2:34 PM said...

Teri Lynne,

I attended a revival in January and I did something that made a drastic difference for me. I had attended scheduled revivals by churches before. This time there was something different. I fasted this time. I wanted a true revival. something more than what I had read about in our history. God saw fit to allow me to have more than what I was yearning for. It's been an amazing adventure ever since then.

{ Brooke McGlothlin } at: September 13, 2009 at 11:40 AM said...

Timely words for me too. I'm getting ready to teach a Bible study on submission in marraige that the Lord gave me years ago...I've had my pastor and 2 other Godly and learned men look over it and make corrections and suggestions, but I'm preparing for it with a heart that says "You do the teaching Lord." It's not something I take lightly...

Share SLF