Stay, Even When It Hurts

by Teri Lynne

Sometimes it's really hard to stay. As a minister's wife there have been many occasions when we have left a hospital room or family home exhausted from the experience. Walking with a family through sorrowful times is tiring. Encouraging and coming alongside someone in difficult situations takes a great deal of strength. And some days, in these situations, I've been thankful that I don't have to stay.

But there have been times when that sorrow is mine. When the difficult situation is in my life. And, there have been times when I've cried out, "I don't want to stay here. It hurts too much!"
2 Corinthians 12:9, "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
Paul had to learn a necessary truth about discipleship ... abiding doesn't remove the suffering of this life. Abiding doesn't eliminate pain or difficulty. Oh no, abiding gives us the strength of God to perfect ... to work through ... our weaknesses.

We will experience rejection, humiliation, sorrow, pain, tragedy, hurt. There will be moments of indescribable loneliness. Christ experienced that when He cried out to His Father,
Matthew 27:46, "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
But, as we abide in Christ, though we FEEL alone, though we FEEL forsaken, we have this blessed promise ...
John 14:18, "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you."
and this one ...
John 14:27, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
Many times I have found great relief in the truth that God is faithful to me. His promises are true and I can take refuge in His tender care. Though the storms rage around me, the God I serve is the Master of the winds. Though He does not always calm the storms in my life, as I abide in Him ... STAYING, even when it hurts ... I have always found comfort for my soul, strength in my weakness, and peace in my circumstance.

Are there situations in your life filled with hurt and suffering? Cry out to the Prince of Peace, the Lover of your soul, who longs to give you comfort and grace.



Teri Lynne is an avid lover of books, constant drinker of strong coffee (with lots of sugar and creamer), and passionate follower of Christ. Married to Scott since 1996 and mother of Casiday since 2000, Teri Lynne, in her words, is living her own happily ever after ... mostly. Writing and teaching women to live empowered, confident lives in Christ and HIS strength is a dream come true for her. You can find her musings almost daily at "Pleasing to You" where she encourages, challenges and inspires others to pursue lives that are pleasing to God.


3 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Brooke McGlothlin } at: September 26, 2009 at 6:56 PM said...

So good my friend...So glad to know He stays with us no matter what...

{ Jo } at: September 27, 2009 at 12:26 AM said...

Hi - I am new to your blog - just loved this entry and couldn't agree more - isn't it wonderful to know that when times get tough and things seem impossible that the Lord is there ready to guide us safely to shore.

{ Erin @ Closing Time } at: October 1, 2009 at 6:44 PM said...

Abiding has been on my mind quite a bit lately. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts in these 3 posts! As I read this one, I was reminded of Psalm 91. No matter what life brings, our place of safety and peace is abiding in His shelter and shadow. There is no better place to be!

Share SLF