Stay RIGHT Here

by Teri Lynne

Words to our daughter, at the time six, while were unloading the luggage from our car one late night. We told her to remain in the hotel room where we could see her from the car.

Returning to the room, luggage in tow and exhausted from a long day driving, our sweet child was no where to be found. Of course we panicked and frantically began searching for her. We called out her name and just as the anxiety reached it's peak, she said, "I'm here." Here, was not the "Here" we had intended.

"Didn't we tell you to stay RIGHT here?"

"Yes, but I just wanted to be here."

"You must obey us. We only want to protect you."
John 15:4, "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me."
Just as we told Casiday to stay where she was for her protection, our Lord tell us to ABIDE in Him. That word abide, guess what it means? Remain, stay.

Christ tells us, "Stay RIGHT here. Remain with me."

And yet we, like many a child, wander off.

Believing foolishly in our own wisdom, we forge a path without our Father's guidance and direction. Thinking we know best, we trudge along outside His protection. How many times have we found ourselves in the midst of struggle or sorrow as a result of leaving the Father's tender care.
Isaiah 55:8-9, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."
Sometimes the call to abide, to remain, doesn't make sense to us. We think, "That can't possibly be what God is saying to me." And yet, nothing about abiding in Him makes sense to our human flesh. We must learn to be obedient ... regardless of our understanding. Learning to trust His Word, "ABIDE IN ME," requires that we relinquish our own agendas, our own understanding, our own desires.

How often are we like a child who thinks she knows better than her parents? Christ's words to us are, "Stay RIGHT here. Right by Me, with Me, IN Me."

What is your response to His tender, protective call?

Teri Lynne is an avid lover of books, constant drinker of strong coffee (with lots of sugar and creamer), and passionate follower of Christ. Married to Scott since 1996 and mother of Casiday since 2000, Teri Lynne, in her words, is living her own happily ever after ... mostly. Writing and teaching women to live empowered, confident lives in Christ and HIS strength is a dream come true for her. You can find her musings almost daily at "Pleasing to You" where she encourages, challenges and inspires others to pursue lives that are pleasing to God.


3 *click here* to dialogue with us:

Anonymous at: September 24, 2009 at 6:14 AM said...

What a great message...I love when God speaks to us Loudly in the what appears to be the mundane day to day living.

{ Teri Lynne } at: September 24, 2009 at 1:09 PM said...

I regularly pray for God to reveal Himself to me in a fresh way ... and He is so faithful to teach me to see Him at work in all things.

{ Nikki } at: September 26, 2009 at 8:46 AM said...

Great word picture illustration!
I struggle with abiding in Christ at times b/c I struggle with simply being still. I'm like your daughter...I get distracted by something and wander off instead of STAYING PUT! :)

Share SLF