The Wolves Are Here

My husband is an evangelist and as we travel from place to place we have opportunities to see and hear about what is going on in various ministries. While were at one place of worship I listened to a lesson from Revelation chapter three, according to what this teacher felt he was to share with us. One thing he said cut me right to the heart, because I knew it was not true. His words were that the underlying basis of all cults today is that they deny the deity of Christ. I bit my tongue.

At the end of the lesson he asked if there were questions, the room was silent. I took a deep breath. I waited. He then asked if there were any comments, to which I knew I was to raise my hand. At that moment that I began to raise my hand and I could feel the spiritual battle begin to overpower me. I could have easily put my hand down and said nothing. However, I knew I was supposed to press on. When you attempt to press on and there is opposition, your body begins to shake, if you've ever tried to connect two magnets of opposing ends you know what I mean.

I spoke up about something our Lord had shown me in Matthew 24:4-5, "4And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. 5For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many."

I spoke up after reading this verse aloud to this class of at least one hundred people, "They clearly will claim that He is Christ, and that's how they will deceive many." I continued, "Spiritual leaders who are false will claim Jesus is Christ and then after that they will attempt to teach you that you need to 'do things to be right with God', when in fact there isn't. Our righteousness is but filthy rags and NOTHING makes us right but by the grace in Christ alone."

The room fell silent. It seemed as though time stood still. Then he spoke up and said, "Wow. Thank you for sharing that." He closed in prayer, thanking God for me speaking up and giving this warning and as he prayed our Lord spoke to me one more time, "There are many wolves in this room" It was as if I heard Him audibly and I sat in silence then quietly exited the building. I proceeded to enter the ladies room and after leaving a woman approached me to ask me more questions. We had a long talk in that lobby about wolves. I warned her that when you know you're in the presence of a wolf you are to flee. She looked at me in bewilderment. As I explained how to know if the leader is a wolf, she already knew the answers and finished my sentences for me.

My advice to her was this, "When you know the leader has taught something wrong, you go to them in love and ask them to look at the verse you know to be true. If they are a true Believer they will thank you and make the correction to the congregation. If they refuse to listen and refuse to correct it for the sheep in the fold, then flee. He is a wolf." By the way that he could be a she-wolf.

As our conversation ended, she left the building. She did not enter the sanctuary for the main service. Interesting.

I have been reflecting upon that day ever since and yesterday had a conversation with my daughter. Should I have repeated what God told me, about there being many wolves in the room, or was that just a message for me to hear? Why would that have been His words for me only? I'm not even a member of that congregation. Was it in fact a message I was supposed to give them?

As I was writing a previous article about why the sheep have left, I came to this verse and it hit be like a mach truck!
Matthew 10:16, "16Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

God truly sent me there that day. But what about what he said to me? What if they had been angry with me for saying there were many wolves in the room?

Matthew 10:26-27, " 26Fear them not therefore: for there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known.27What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops."
I now know I was indeed supposed to say what he told me. That message was not for me, it was for them. "Forgive me Lord for not speaking up and empower me to speak the next time you want me to. I was fearful of what would happen to me if I spoke up." The wolves are here and they're all around us. Most often they are in 'spiritual leadership' positions over you. Know Christ and he shall set you free.

Related Articles:
Wolves Among Us, by Serena Wood of Grace is for Sinners.
Facing the Wolves by Sisterlisa




Sisterlisa is a homeschooling mom of four children and married to a ministry leader of a Rescue mission. She is the owner of Growing in Grace Magazine and AGMinistries.







9 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Lady Jess } at: September 5, 2009 at 12:23 PM said...

GREAT article!!!

{ LilBear } at: September 5, 2009 at 6:00 PM said...

You're right...wolves are everywhere. I have to admit that's why I avoid some bible studies because I feel the teacher's words are wrong or their hearts are empty. But that could also be the evil one trying to keep me from growing in Christ. Very good, thought-provoking post!

{ Danielle Hull } at: September 5, 2009 at 6:31 PM said...

Thanks, Lisa! I'm still working on listening to the still small voice in my every day life :-/ I love how you encourage/exhort us to be in the Word at the end of your posts!

Blessings,
Danielle

{ Serena Woods } at: September 6, 2009 at 2:31 PM said...

I love it!

{ Pure Perseverance } at: September 7, 2009 at 4:33 PM said...

MERCY! I mean that in a most serious sense. The last part of your article where you were talking about speaking up for Him, had me nervous and uneasy. It isn't easy at all times to speak boldly on Christ's behalf, but when it comes down to us communicating with Him, you know, that one on one time, we want to make sure that we "confess(ed) Him before all men". He promises to do also for us to our heavenly Father. You were bold for and in Christ, Lisa. God knows your heart and He has faith in you to do His will. You will definitely make somebody mad at some point, but if their hearts are malleable, then they can receive the message and God can get to work. The same goes for us as we are also continually learning. Love must be at the forefront, as you mentioned. He wants us all to be saved. I leave you this encouragement from the greatest Book, "Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them." Ps. 119:165
God bless you!

{ Sisterlisa } at: September 7, 2009 at 5:39 PM said...

All glory to our God above, dear sisters. May we all walk boldly.

{ Reborn } at: September 8, 2009 at 12:45 PM said...

This post was on-point for my life right now. It's sooo tough to sit in a teaching setting and hear questionable teaching (especially the exact erroneous teaching you brought up).

{ Sisterlisa } at: September 8, 2009 at 2:30 PM said...

Dear Reborn, just curious, why do you stay?

{ Reborn } at: September 8, 2009 at 4:03 PM said...

Sister Lisa,

It's my husband's choice that I stay. There used to be a lot of other reasons, like fear of rejection, emotional manipulation, and plenty of other fears! For now, I think it's best to preserve unity in our marriage, and follow my husband's leading, while relying on God's grace.

Fortunately, my husband and I have had lots of open communication about the situation, so he's not insensitive to or unaware of the issues.

I believe God is using this time to show me that some of the folks acting like "wolves" are simply hurting people in need of grace. Even they deserve my continuing love, forgiveness, and prayer.

However, I absolutely agree that those that in authority positions that are leading people (or should I say, MIS-leading people) are in a dangerous place, if they're causing little ones to stumble.

That's a long answer to a short question! :)

Reborn.

Share SLF