Holidays

by Sisterlisa

Recycled from last year:

Someone recently asked me if I celebrate Christmas or not. Over the last few years I have become increasingly weary of the materialistic culture that this holiday has been morphing into. It's nothing like it was when I was a child, although that's probably because I didn't brave the stores with my mom on Black Friday.

But even in my adult years it seems to be getting worse.

After digging into the roots of this Americanized holiday, I became more disturbed about the origin of this day and how Christians applied Jesus to it to make it acceptable. Just as many Christians have applied Reformation Day Celebrations to October 31st, they have applied the 'birth' of Christ our Lord to December 25th birthday of a pagan god, and His resurrection to the Easter holiday which is for Astarte, a pagan goddess.

I'm not going to make this article legalistic.

I simply wish to say that I think these holidays are highly over rated and tends to become divisive as Christians use their personal beliefs about it all to judge one another if they don't take one side or the other. Even back before I ventured into historic discovery of the culture of holidays, I already knew they were pagan.

I have nothing against candy, scented candles, gifts, family gatherings, or caroling about our Lord.

(I am especially partial to liking turkey and cranberry sauce too. Please don't bash me for eating Tom the turkey. He tastes really good.)

There's a lot about these seasons that draw the family back together and family gathering together is a good thing. How they choose to do so is their business.

Last year I wrote about Christmas in a dogmatic, historic way and although I retain the conviction to abstain from as much materialism and paganism as possible, I'm not going to shake my finger at everyone else if they celebrate differently. That's not my place. And if I'm going to drop Christmas, I better drop every single aspect about it.

For those who think you must stand for Christ our Lord and enforce all Christians to stop all Christmas, Easter, Halloween, or any other holiday for that matter, then be sure to stop drinking soda pop, painting your nails, and overeating. While we all have the same grace to grow closer to Christ in these areas, we must not allow legalism to hurt one another. Shall we abstain from being friends with people because they have a wreath on their front door, scarecrow doll on the porch, or bunny rabbit in the window? Then we'd better not be on the internet or own a television either.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but I promise I'm not doing so with animosity or rebellion. :)

Also keep in mind that celebrating any holiday or special day observances is not mandatory, it is not sacrilegious to avoid them. I'm not saying to NOT stand for what you believe in, but your stand doesn't have to be on your neighbors front porch (or blog). Be kind and allow each other to grow in grace.











Share God's Love with Greeting Cards by DaySpring

3 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Carrie C. Stone } at: November 3, 2009 at 10:13 AM said...

Thank you for your thoughts and honesty about this hot topic. God looks at the heart of man. What He sees is the inner longings to please Him. If it is our love for Him which causes us to put up our trees or display our Nativity sets, then He will see that. If we choose not to out of devotion to Him, but condemn others for doing it, He sees that too. At the center of it all is love.
Keep writing and challenging us with your words. It will exhort and encourage the Kingdom.
Thanks!

{ jenny } at: November 3, 2009 at 5:34 PM said...

We celebrate, but try to focus on Christ. It is difficult in the culture we live. In fact in England, if children don't get presents at Christmas and the like, the authorities consider it child abuse.
It is very sad, a positive way to enjoy Christmas is to make sure we spend time with our family, it is this time together that is gold. Not the gifts.

{ Cassie } at: November 4, 2009 at 9:07 PM said...

Sis this is so right on. I agree 100%! a good point about keeping our stand off of other's places!!

Share SLF