Honour's List

by Jenny


As the Queen reveals her New Year Honour's list, great excitement is generated by the people who find themselves on it. How important is it though that we are honoured by men? The Bible says we will actually be hated for His name's sake and Corinthians says "But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence."
photo by jcrump55


So we learn that God works the opposite. He doesn't choose nobility, people of learning, people who have done good works. You couldn't expect to be on the Queens List unless you have done something of worth in the world's domain. However, with the kingdom of God it is exactily the opposite. It is not works we have done, it is not how respectable we are. It doesn't matter what station we are, we can never make ourselves acceptable to God. What a wonderful message, that you could be destitute, broken, the lowest of the low, and yet salvation is for you. As the hymn says, Just as I am without a plea:

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
Just as I am, and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need in Thee to find,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
Just as I am, Thy love unknown
Hath broken every barrier down;
Now, to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
Just as I am, of that free love
The breadth, length, depth, and height to prove,
Here for a season, then above,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!

This is a fantastic hymn. It shows that we do not need to make ourselves acceptable, just to humble ourselves and come.

I know I am on the most important list. God's list, which lasts for all eternity. It was free, I didn't earn it, I didn't deserve it, but God bestowed it! Amazing love, Amazing grace!




Jenny is a Christian home educating Mum of 9 blessings, living in the flat plains of England's green and pleasant land. She blogs at Be Fruitful.



Stumble This!




Share God's Love with Greeting Cards by DaySpring





0 *click here* to dialogue with us:

Share SLF