Is There Grace in Abortion?

by Sisterlisa

I have recently began questioning how to handle the abortion issue from a different perspective. I'd like to ask you to join me in looking at this with spiritual eyes instead of carnal eyes. In the carnal we look at it through the knowledge of good and evil. That cursed tree that sends us into a legalistic rage if someone disagrees with what we call good or evil. The Law is a long list of dos and do nots. There are many who use the Law and dig deep into the Law making it even harder to bear. If we focus on what others proclaim as good or evil then I believe we make them into a god in our lives. You know, a god who decides what is right and what is wrong, good or evil, and just how much grace God will show to others. Idolatry is not a pretty thing. 

Who are WE to dictate how much grace God gives? We know he gives grace to the humble. So how do we become humble in regards to abortion? Are all women walking in the front doors, going in with a proud and haughty spirit? I would think most of them are walking into the doors with fear and despair. Who do they see as they walk into those doors? Are they met with legalistic 'Christians' who preach the Law at them? In their attempts to discourage a physical life being taken from the womb, what are they doing to the spiritual life of those ladies? What does a woman think about when she is discharged out the back door? How many actually walk out of there with no feeling at all and glad to get it all over with as if she just tossed out a dirty napkin? How many walk out with more fear and despair that now has the legalism heaped on top.?I wonder if they fear running into those picketers on their way out.
  
I was talking to my brother-in-love about this. I shared with him how God transformed my heart in this after seeing a speech by a man who said this (with a sad yet sarcastic tone)

"I'm sorry I'm a Christian. I'm sorry I preach condemnation to you in front of the abortion clinics instead of hugging you when you go out the back door."

My brother-in-love replied with this:
"If more people were at the back door hugging them, more women might go to the back door for counsel instead of going in the front door."
I don't condone abortion. then again, I've never been faced with that decision though. I believe those babies are with Jesus. What better place to be born than directly into the arms of Jesus Christ? Knowing they enter His arms is such a great peace for me. But what about the women? I wonder how many were humbled by what decision they made? God gives grace to the humble. He also came to save people, not condemn them. The enemy is the accuser, I'd rather give grace than accusation. 

Just some thoughts I wanted to share with you. I pray you'll consider hugging them next time instead of condemning them. How about you hug them as they go in and hug them as they go out? SHOW them God's grace.

Join me in the linky at Quivering Daughters 'Journey to Grace'








Stumble This!




Share God's Love with Greeting Cards by DaySpring







9 *click here* to dialogue with us:

{ Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama } at: March 28, 2010 at 5:37 AM said...

Sin is sin, including abortion. I completely agree with your relative that if more of us were at the back door then less of them would be going through the front.

Who is saved to God's kingdom by a picket sign?

The great commission should be first and foremost on our minds, not our judgment of the "sinner" (which BTW we all are too!)

Thank you for looking at this a different way..I admire that you are willing to be open.

{ The Queen Mommy } at: March 31, 2010 at 6:21 PM said...

Yep - sin is sin - and abortion is definitely sin. I can speak with confidence on this topic because in 1987 I had an abortion. Raised in a Christian home - I knew it was wrong - and yet, fear and despair certainly played a part. I do not blame anyone but myself - and spent the next 16 years beating myself up for it. And then God extended His hand - full of grace and reality - and turned my heart of stone into a heart of flesh so I could live again (Ezek 36:26). Abortion is ugly. It is NOT freedom. It is NOT an "option" like picking out a pair of shoes. It is DEATH and destruction - not just of an innocent baby, but also of a woman's soul...

{ Virginia Knowles } at: September 18, 2010 at 5:19 AM said...

SisterLisa - souls and lives ARE saved as a result of sidewalk protesters. My 21 year old daughter stood in front of a clinic in 2008 when a young woman named Esther came in with her boyfriend. She had a baby at home and was pregnant with twins. Our friend Allura lovingly plead with them to give life to their babies and they did! Our church showered them with financial and practical help. Last week Julia wheeled those beautiful twin girls down the aisle in a stroller in this couple's wedding. My daughter Joanna provided their photography for free. The whole wedding and even the honeymoon were donated by wonderful prolife people. There is love at the front door too. There have been so many young women brought to Jesus and so many precious babies saved because these courageous men and women loved at the front door so there wouldn't need to be a back door.

{ Hillary } at: September 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM said...

I cried reading this. I have a friend who had an abortion and she is tormented. She thinks about it and cries over it every single day...she is in her own daily hell. Thank you for bringing up this perspective.

{ Sisterlisa } at: September 18, 2010 at 8:38 AM said...

I think Christians focus so much on the ugliness of abortion that they miss the entire heart and soul fo the woman. Jesus said to the woman take in adultry "where are your accusers...neither do I condemn you. GO..and sin no more" AFTER she committed adultry. He was more concerned about her heart healing from condemnation than he was the adultry. He let her leave without condemnation. He extended grace.

{ Sisterlisa } at: September 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM said...

Hillary, I am so so sorry that your friend suffers so much. God has forgiven her..He did so long before He knew she would make that decision. There is NO condemnation. Keep telling her that. Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. She is free, she needs ot be reminded of her freedom in Christ. ((hugs))

{ Sisterlisa } at: September 18, 2010 at 2:00 PM said...

Virginia, that is beautiful. I don't deny that at all..just revealing the other side of the coin. The lives of the women who don't keep their babies. Their souls are damaged after the fact. They need just as much love and support as the women who keep their pregnancies.

{ Virginia Knowles } at: September 18, 2010 at 3:57 PM said...

So true, Sisterlisa. A close friend is still suffering post-abortion trauma decades after the fact, as well as clinical mental illness that may or may not be related to that. Just today I was praying on the phone with her again - for peace and for God's most abundant blessings. She prayed the same for me. I so appreciate that, since we all have pasts that need to be healed. Lord, have mercy on us all, and especially on we who like to feel morally superior!

{ Sisterlisa } at: September 18, 2010 at 5:24 PM said...

Whether a sin is abortion or self righteousness, we're all covered by His Amazing Grace. And when we realize our sin, to be humbled and ask God to purify our hearts so we can heal. As we heal, the changes take place naturally. If we make 'change' our focus, the heart is left untreated. The issue always begins in the heart and changes come later. There's a tremendous reason why apostles are known for their patience. ;)

Share SLF