What are they REALLY questioning?

When kids get to the point of entering The Inquisition, they know that once they begin questioning, they may be marked as a divisive person. Want to know how thwhy they suspect this will happen? Because they see it in the church.

girl praying by sisterlisa, on Pix-O-SphereThey see what happens when someone begins questioning the teaching. This is an area we can offer support to our teens right away..let them ask. Let them know they can ask and not get shot down with the blame game..you know..when parents blame their teens..otherwise known as the accusation. The accusation of being a critical divisive teen. As parents this is an are I feel we really need to guard with much compassion, our teens ability to partake in this right of passage that most teens go through, The Inquisition. The greatest minds of history are people who inquired outside the box. As a homeschooling mom I can say without a doubt, that 'questioning' is how we learn. It's the natural process of real education, discovering things by trial and error. When I allow my kids to question why something works and try to find ways it may not work is a great way for them to be convinced of something or quite possibly invent something even better. So, when it comes to our faith I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to see my teens further grounded in Christ, that I would need to allow them to take their passage through The Inquistion.

I knew that I would rather allow them to take this journey while they were still at home with us, rather than when they are out on their own. What I came to discover is that I never took my own path through that passage of life, so when I allowed them to take that path, we went together. It's been an amazing journey! I can testify of this very important thing...it built our relationships within the family much stronger. Trust became a solid thing in our family. Much more solid than I could have imagined, and I believe this is because I have allowed them to find out who God is to THEM rather than try to fit their relationship with God into my own custom cookie cuttter, which actually wasn't mine, I got mine from the religious forefathers our former church got theirs from. We came to realize we had individual relationships with God. No two are alike. This doesn't mean God is different, for He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. But it's US who are unique, which makes all our relationships with God unique.

So just what is it that our teens of today are questioning? Are they questioning God directly? I don't think so. I believe the youth of today are questioning who THEY 'think' He is based on what they've been taught to believe. They are wondering if the presentation their parents and church leaders have given to them about God is who THEY believe God is. They are beginning to really take a longer, more serious look at the believers around them and wondering if God is grace, mercy, and love or mean, dictating, and condemning. Are they seeing the gracious merciful God in our lives or do they see a controlling fear factor God in our lives? They want to know who God really is to them. This journey entails a lot and I'll be sharing it all with you in the coming weeks.

'Inquiring about the accusations'




Sisterlisa is a homeschooling mom of four children and married to an evangelist who travels to bring the gospel to those in need of our Savior. She is the owner of Growing in Grace Magazine and Pix-O-Sphere.



Stumble This!







Share God's Love with Greeting Cards by DaySpring








0 *click here* to dialogue with us:

Share SLF